Thursday, January 18, 2007

Apple iPhone


This could potentially be one of the greatest devices of the new millenium.

Now in case you don't know, when it comes to Apple products, I usually could care less. I have a black iPod that's pretty cool, but I have no particular loyalty to the company. I'm not a big fan of iTunes, and I definitely don't like the fact that Apple made "pearl white" the new "black". I'm still waiting for the day when that fad goes the way of the Dodo.

With all that said, I'm nearly ready to prostrate myself before Steve Jobs after seeing the new iPhone. Despite my concerns over the use of oily appendages as input devices, this thing just has "brilliant" written all over it. I don't know if anyone has noticed, but we live in the freakin' 21st century. When I look at some of the pathetic crap that's being peddled to us, I feel robbed. I see a veritable boatload of communication devices out there that can play music, take pictures, and access the web, but you usually have to sacrifice something with each one. Maybe this phone can play music, but it only has 64 megs of internal memory that can't be upgraded. Another phone will allow you to take 1.2 megapixel pictures, but the carrier only wants you to use their web-based service to get the pictures off and share them. Don't worry, they'll just tack it onto your monthly bill. Oh, would you like some ringtones for your polyphonic phone? They're only $2 and expire in 90 days. With a mighty voice, I proudly declare, "WTF?" This is NOT the Tomorrowland that Walt Disney promised me. It's just another system of control. We have had the technology to make integrated products that free us from the yokes of obsolescence, so it's about damn time someone stepped up to the plate.

I shall now withdraw from my soapbox and regale you with the features of this wonderful device. If you go to the website, you'll see animated demos of how the phone works. Trust me, you will want to see this. For me, this device has it all. It's a widescreen video and music player, a 2 megapixel digital camera and photo album, a web browser, an email client, and a phone all-in-one. It also has the ability to run various widgets, which are small applications like weather trackers and stock tickers. The potential for this device is amazing. It looks like the device will come in 4 and 8 gig models and can be synched with your PC or Mac.

I do have some concerns though like any good consumer should. I'm not really happy about the fact that you're still chained to one carrier. I can't wait for the day when you're able to choose a device and pick your own carrier, much like one does for land-line long distance. With all these great features, I can see Cingular nickeling and diming someone to death with this phone. There's also the issue of the phone's cost. This thing could easily go for $600, which I'm sure could be subsidized by selling your soul to Cingular for two years.

All in all, I'm very impressed with what this phone can do and also what it represents. It means that there are others out there who believe as I do, that the 21st century deserves better stuff. I have signed up for additional information and will pass that along as it becomes available.

2 Comments:

At 11:27 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

It's too expensive. $499 for 4G or $599 for 8G... and that includes a 2 yr contract as well.

 
At 12:47 PM, Blogger John said...

Thanks for dropping the price information. I hadn't seen that yet, but I'm not really surprised by it. Considering what this device can do, I can almost see myself picking one up. For that kind of dough though, I would definitely wait and let them work the bugs out first. Of course, this is all hypothetical for me right now. I just signed a two year contract with Sprint, so I'm not switching anytime soon. Still, I generally don't take an interest in these kind of things, but I'll be keeping my eye on this one.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home