Thursday, November 30, 2006

SteelPad QcK Review


While searching for mousepads one day, I came across a company called SteelSeries that specializes in professional gaming gear. As I have said before, there are people out there playing video games for a living, so it’s really no surprise that there would be companies dedicated to these folks. Now, except for some occasional daydreaming, I’m pretty much your run-of-the-mill casual gamer. I do love me some peripherals though and can appreciate an excellent mousepad. SteelSeries just happens to be in the business of making excellent mousepads and was kind enough to send me a Steelpad QcK to review.

For the longest time, I used a Microthin WowPad! as my primary mousepad. If you look back through previous posts, you will see where I have praised that pad for its measurements. It’s big enough to comfortably use two mice on and is truly “microthin”. I bring this up simply for comparison purposes and to let you know where I’ve been. For the past few months, I’ve been using the Steelpad QcK exclusively, and I think I’ve road-tested it enough. Here’s my two cents.

The Good
The first thing I noticed about the QcK is how closely it matches the size of my previous pad. At 11.2” by 12.6”, there’s plenty of room on this pad for two mice, which is the major draw for me. For someone who likes to be able to use their desktop and laptop simultaneously, regular mousepads just don’t cut it. What I love is the fact that this pad is pretty much the SteelPad standard. Their “medium” is what most companies would consider a “large”. One of my major complaints with my WowPad! is the fact that it’s as big as it gets. Trust me, I’ve actually inquired about it. On the other hand, if the QcK isn’t big enough for you, then “super-size” it. SteelSeries has got you covered! With the way my desk is setup, it’s also extremely important that I use a thin mousepad. Although the QcK is slightly thicker than my other pad, it’s definitely the thinnest cloth pad I’ve ever seen. At 0.07”, I’m able to open a drawer right over top of it and you hardly notice it’s there. This is the perfect pad for LAN cafes and cluttered desks where space is at a premium.

The next thing I noticed is just how comfortable the pad is. The slim profile and use of cloth really makes this a pleasant pad to use. It’s hard to describe, but my other pad just felt really harsh sometimes. I don’t feel any of that with the QcK. The pad is smooth to the touch but it’s important to point out that this pad is really intended for low-sensitivity users. I almost never set my mouse above 800dpi, so it works perfect for me. The pad is also very stable and isn’t prone to sliding around.

All in all, I think the QcK is a premium, high-quality mousepad. If you’re like me, when you think of cloth mousepads, you think back to the god-awful things you used in the college computer labs or at work as an operator. That is simply not the case here. This is a very durable pad, and I’m willing to bet it can hang in there for the long haul.

The Bad
This is the part where I talk about some of the problems that one experiences with cloth mousepads. Unlike my other pad, the QcK has a tendency to get dirty and pick up stray crumbs. That’s not a knock against the QcK so much, as it’s a knock against cloth pads in general. You would get the same results if you laid a black T-shirt out on your desk and used it as your mousepad. Just keep in mind that you’ll need to shake out the QcK from time to time, much like a rug. It’s a minor annoyance but definitely not a deal breaker.

As I mentioned earlier, this is a high-quality mousepad and quality comes at a price. At $15 US, the pad may be a little expensive for the casual user. This is a very subjective point to hinge on though, because it’s all about what people are willing to spend. I’ll gladly pay $15 for a really nice mousepad, but I’m not so sure if the majority of gamers would agree. You also have to take into consideration the fact that this stuff is really geared towards the professional gamers and not someone working in Excel. For a pro gamer, it’s an investment.

My biggest complaint with the QcK would probably get laughed at by pro gamers. It’s not very pretty to look at. I realize that beauty is in the eye of the beholder, but I think a lot of people would agree that the mousepad just doesn’t offer much in terms of aesthetics. The pad is simply black with the SteelSeries logo in the bottom left corner. When you compare it to something like the SteelPad 5L, it just can’t compete. If you order enough of them, I’m sure you can get whatever you want on the pad, but it would be nice for the average Joe to have some variety. I realize that this is simply a matter of personal taste, but it’s the closest thing to a deal breaker for me.

The Bottom Line
The SteelPad QcK has a lot to offer someone who’s looking for a really nice, cloth mousepad. It’s thin, comfortable, and durable. It comes in several sizes and has a non-skid base. If you’re a high-roller and have your mouse set to 1600dpi, then you might be better off with something like the SteelPad 5L. At $15, it’s hard for me to justify the price when it only comes in one style. That may sound really superficial, but I think some different designs and colors would really help sell the product. A black, cloth mousepad just doesn’t look as good six months down the road, as it did when you first opened the box. Ultimately, I think the SteelPad QcK is a great product that could be fantastic with a few cosmetic upgrades.

8.0 out of 10 (Great)

*** Update ***

A representative for SteelSeries informed me that the design for the SteelPad QcK was ultimately chosen with cooperation from top gamers, who decided to go for a more timeless design. So, maybe I’m in a class all by myself. It wouldn’t be the first time.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home